Mushroom & Chestnut Lentil Loaf
The ultimate vegan Christmas dinner centrepiece, infused with deep vegetable flavours and festive, roasted chestnuts.
- 215g green lentils
- 700ml of V8 Original juice
- 1 tbsp flax seed mixed with 3 tbsp water (or use 1 egg if not vegan)
- 1 carrot
- 1 onion
- 500g of mushrooms
- 200g of roasted, peeled chestnuts
- 50g walnuts
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried sage
- ½ tsp mustard powder
- 90g of breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a saucepan, heat the V8 juice and water until bubbling. Add the lentils and simmer for about 30 minutes, until the lentils are fully cooked. If the liquid evaporates before they are fully cooked, add another ¼ cup of water and simmer for an extra 5 to 10 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 165°C fan assisted oven / 180°C electric oven / gas mark 4.
- In a food processor, mince the onion, carrot and mushrooms until finely shredded. Remove, and then pulse the walnuts and chestnuts until they are chopped into smaller chunks.
- In a large frying pan, heat a few tablespoons of oil and add the shredded vegetables. Stir fry until softened. Add the spices and cook for a few more minutes until fragrant.
- Finally, add the walnut and chestnut mixture, the lentil/V8 mixture, breadcrumbs and flax seed mixture to the pan. Season generously with salt and pepper. Stir until completely combined.
- Brush a loaf pan with a little olive oil and press the mixture into the pan. You will have more than enough to fill a 2lb loaf pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes, until the top starts to get crispy. Allow to rest for about 20 minutes before tipping out onto a serving plate.
- Slice and serve.